Tim.B.log - original
Tim Bond's weblog.
Monday, December 08, 2003  
Getting involved in politics...
posted 12/08/2003 02:38:00 PM
Ok, ok - I know - how many months since I posted? And didn't I promise some info about the Disney trip? Oh well - I guess that's not gonna happen. Enjoy the Disney pics that are already posted on my homepage and look for more in the next week or so.

Earlier this year I started seeing information about different Democratic candidates running for President in 2004. Something has to be done about the current state of affairs and Bush must be defeated next November. Very early on, the only person in the crowd who kept clicking for me was Howard Dean, MD, former governor of Vermont. He's an intelligent guy, seems more honest than one should hope for in a politician, and, man, can he give a good speech! A few months ago, I ran across his website www.DeanForAmerica.com and signed up immediately. Not long after that, I found myself attending a supporters meeting, called a Meetup. Now, I check a few of the many websites daily, read the official Blog For America site several times a day and wear my Dean buttons everywhere I go (a friend of mine is starting a button business, so I even designed a few buttons and paid her to make me up a bunch. When her website is up and running, I'll post the link on my homepage).

So, all of a sudden, it turns out Governor Dean is heading to Columbia, SC, just up the road from me on Sun Dec 7. A few of us from the Meetup decide to carpool and take a roadtrip in Franklin's van plastered with Dean posters. The governor and Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr., give some electrifying speeches and the crowd goes wild. We hooked up with a huge group of NC Dean supporters for lunch (and lots of them picked up some of the tiny 1" buttons I brought). After waiting outside the State campaign headquarters, I got to shake the good doctor's hand before he cut the ribbon for the HQ grand opening, making that the first time I've ever come in contact with a presidential candidate (I did see Clinton in person a few years back when he came by Augusta State University to promote an education plan, but wasn't anywhere near enough to shake hands). I only regret I didn't get to give him one of my buttons, but I did find out that Jesse Jackson, Jr., admired one someone had gotten from me and she gave it to him.

Do check out Dean for America and find out why Dean is our best hope to take back our country and, if possible, find out how you can get involved to ensure we get Bush out of the White House!


Comments: Post a Comment
links
archives